16 июля 2008

Jazzzzz

Hejsan from Stockholm. This week happens to be the 25th annual Stockholm Jazz Festival, featuring Van Morrison and Mary J. Blige. Pontus and his friends will volunteer there, and I will absorb the music for at least one of the days. It takes place on Skeppsholmen, the island where the Modern Art Museum is located, which I saw last time I was here, and which featured a fantastic Dada exhibit. I'll check it out again this year.

And so I am here after my very first couchsurfing experience in Göteborg with a fellow named Karl, who plays a little bit of every type of music (from folk music to heavy metal) on a little bit of every type of instrument. He has a nykelharpa that his grandfather made, and I learned one tune on that, and then we went to a small folk festival south of the city, where I met a few fantastic Swedish fiddlers and recorded tons of tunes which I will try to learn before I see them next, at the Korrö festival in Småland next weekend. There were a lot of older folks at the little festival, playing mostly tunes that were easily fathomable and not as enticing to my ears as what these fellows, Roger and Erik were playing alone in what they called Logen, which is a barn, but a barn built and designed specifically for dancing in. I asked them what the difference was between their tunes and the other tunes, if it was a matter of region or time period or anything. They said it was simply that they prefer the more complicated tunes, the polskas or all varieties, particulary the Slängpolskas. So next week I will meet them again as well as a million more musicians and hopefully pick up something useful while there.

Karl plays in a bluegrass/country band as well, so last Saturday we went to the Nääsville Bluegrass festival, also south of Göteborg but a bit further. None of the musicians has a driver's lisence, though one had access to an old Volvo 740, so I had my first driving experience out of the states, the roads are so narrow! But driving is driving, and I think I'll rent a car next week to get to all the places I need to be, and to have a place to sleep at the festival (it's a camping fest), so I will have much more experience.

And before I got to Göteborg, I was in Helsingborg and Helsingör and staying with Leon in Copenhagen, at which time the Copenhagen Jazz fest was going on. So, needless to say, I am getting a little of my two MOST favorite kinds of music, traditional Swedish and jazz jazz jazz. In fact, now Pontus is rocking out on the piano right behind me, so I must get my fiddle out! Signing off for now, home July 28th.

1 Comments:

Blogger Fiddler said...

I'm so glad you're having a fantabulous time :) Looking forward to listening to your renditions of the music!

1:26 PM, июля 16, 2008  

Отправить комментарий

<< Home