26 октября 2006

Blue (revisited)

After last night's ever-entertaining Swedish class in South Portland, Rachael and I went to Blue to check out the Irish session. Blue is a fairly new club, very simple and slightly classy. The walls are orangey red, and the art is highly sexual, but secretly so, and reminiscent of grafitti. Guinness is on tap (only $3!), so I was happy. We caught the tail-end of the 7:30 concert by an excellent Irish fiddler, Oisin McAuley, yakked with Glen Loper for a few minutes and enjoyed the tunes at the seisun. I didn't bring my fiddle; my Irish repetoire is no larger than the buttons on my sweater. I did hear some tunes I knew though, and I think I'll make a habit of going. Eventually, the tunes will get so stuck in my head that I'll have no choice but to scratch them out on the old four-strings myself.

Blue has a lot of folky events. Tonight is Rakish Paddy, another Irish group. I've never heard them, and I'm skipping it in lieu of more important things (writing my blog...). Their website has all their shows, www.portcityblue.com. I like the ritual of going out in the weekday evenings. I used to go out dancing (Scandi, Morris, Rapper, Tango, etc.) at least 5 nights a week, but since I've returned to Maine, no such activity. I have decided to crack down on myself and do most of my schoolwork during the day, from 9-5 or 10-6 or whatever, and then excommunicate it from my consciousness. After I've done my time (and changed out of my hunting-orange jumpsuit), I can head to town and chill like a villain at Coffee by Design, or check out music or a movie. This will be healthier for me, because otherwise I put the work off and think about it obsessively, disengaging from the part of life that happens on the outside of my head. That's not very SK, according to the Gospel According to SK. And so, a change attempts to manifest itself, and since beer is involved, it has potential to hold.